Things To Do At Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, NY
Discover the Magic of Film and Media at the Museum of the Moving Image
Nestled in the bustling borough of Queens, New York, the Museum of the Moving Image is an absolute must-visit for any film, television, and digital media enthusiast. With its extensive collection of artifacts, state-of-the-art exhibitions, and interactive displays, this unique museum offers visitors a thrilling glimpse into the evolution of moving images. For more info on the Magic of Film and Media check us out. Here are some top things to do when you visit:
- Explore the Core Exhibition – “Behind the Screen”: The Museum of the Moving Image is best known for this exhibit, which offers an in-depth look at the process of producing, promoting, and presenting films, television shows, and digital media. “Behind the Screen” features more than 1,400 artifacts, from historic movie cameras and projectors to makeup and costumes used in popular films and TV shows. You can also participate in interactive experiences such as creating sound effects and stop-motion animations.
- Visit the “Jim Henson Exhibition”: Paying tribute to the creative genius behind the Muppets, this permanent exhibit showcases over 300 artifacts related to Henson’s career, including puppets, scripts, and sketches. From Kermit the Frog to Miss Piggy, see these beloved characters up close and learn about Henson’s pioneering work in puppetry and television.
- Participate in a Workshop or a Lab: The museum offers several interactive learning experiences for people of all ages. Kids can learn about various aspects of filmmaking and digital media in the museum’s drop-in workshops. Meanwhile, teens and adults can take part in the museum’s lab experiences, where they can delve deeper into topics like sound effects or video game design.
- Watch a Movie or Attend a Live Event: The museum boasts a magnificent theater that screens classic and contemporary films, often with post-screening discussions featuring filmmakers, scholars, and critics. Additionally, the museum regularly hosts special live events, including performances, panel discussions, and lectures that offer invaluable insights into the world of film and television.
- Check Out the Changing Exhibitions: Alongside its permanent collection, the Museum of the Moving Image frequently curates special exhibitions focusing on various aspects of the moving image industry. Past exhibitions have included retrospectives of specific filmmakers, deep dives into television history, and explorations of groundbreaking digital media artists.
- Visit the Museum Store: Before you leave, make sure to stop by the museum store. It offers an array of film-related books, DVDs, and other memorabilia. You might find the perfect souvenir to remember your visit.
- Enjoy a Bite at the Café: Round off your visit with a snack or a meal at the museum’s café. The menu offers a variety of options, and it’s a great place to relax and discuss the day’s discoveries.
The Museum of the Moving Image is more than just a museum—it’s an immersive exploration of the history, technology, and artistry behind our moving image culture. With its dynamic blend of history and hands-on learning, a visit promises to be a rewarding and unforgettable experience for movie buffs, digital media fans, and casual tourists alike. For more information regarding the New York Hall of Science in Queens click here.